Hi! We've recently opened a new server - if you'd like to give it a try, please check out our website at Anomaly Ragnarok Online!

Photo

Connection/Lag Problems? Check Here

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
If you're having consistent lag issues with the server, we can look into them for you, but please make sure you have read through this topic and followed all other instructions first. You may be able to fix the problem on your own and save some time.

What Type of Lag is it?

The first thing you need to do is determine what type of lag you're experiencing. We can only help you if your lag is related to the network connection between you and the server.

Graphics Lag: The lag only occurs when a large amount of players/effects are on your screen. In other words, this normally only happens during WoE or BG, or in events involving a lot of monster spawns. If this is the case, this is typically related either to your computer hardware, or the fact that RO's client is a heap of junk and decides to only use 1% of your CPU resources. This can sometimes be fixed by upgrading your computer (new CPU, more RAM, better GPU, etc) if you're on an older computer, or you can use /effect to make sure effects are off.

Lag Spike: The lag happens randomly, and generally only lasts for a few seconds. You can usually tell it's this type of lag if your whole screen just freezes for a moment and then goes back to normal. If this happens server-wide, this is a lag spike on the host's side; if it happens frequently you should let me know so I can look into it. If it only happens to you, it's on your side; you'll need to take a look at your computer (and any other systems on the same network, such as a family computer) to see what's taking up all your network speed. Some examples include high-speed downloads, watching movies online, or someone else gaming on a console (PS3, XBox, etc) or other computer.

Network Lag: The lag is consistent whenever you play. Typically you'll have long delays after clicking or using skills before anything actually happens, but other people on your screen will be moving normally. This is quite often checked with the "sit spam" method, where you spam Insert and see how fast you sit/stand.

Connection Failure: Login attempts result in a "Failed to connect to server" message. If this happens, give it about 10 minutes and then try again to see if it was just a temporary issue. If you're still unable to connect after this, skip right to the Ping/Traceroute Tests section and send me the required information.

Please note that network lag is partially related to your location. It is normal for this to occur when there is a large distance between you and the server. The host is located in USA, so if you live somewhere far away like the Philippines, there will be a slight delay between you and the server. It's a good idea to compare your sit spam with other people in the same country (or at least the same continent) as you before deciding to report it, since you may just be experiencing normal latency. If you are a lot slower than the others in your area though, then you can continue.

Have You Disabled the Nagle Algorithm?

If you haven't disabled the Nagle Algorithm on your computer yet, you may want to try that before moving on. You can see a guide on how to this here.

Once you're done, restart your computer and try playing for another day or so to see if it's any better than before. If not, you can continue to the next step.

How Often Does it Occur?

If you only recently started experiencing this lag, or if it only happens occasionally, it's possible that your Internet service provider (ISP) is having issues with their network. Give it a few days and see if it's still happening; it may just resolve itself on its own. If the lag is occurring consistently every day, then you can continue to the next part.

Running Ping and Traceroute Tests

This is where you'll be checking your latency (ping) to the server, and also checking exactly where the lag is occurring.

To make this as simple as possible, I've created a file that will save all of this information automatically for you. You can get this file here:
iROTrace.exe

This file will include some basic information about your computer, such as your CPU and RAM usage, as well as logging multiple traceroutes and pings to check your network connection. This information will be used to try to determine what exactly is causing you to lag, and work towards a way to fix the issue.

Note - This information is only useful to me if you run the file while the lag is occurring. If you are no longer lagging, just wait until the lag starts again before running the iROTrace.exe file. This will help to get accurate results so I can properly assist you once you send me the information.

This process may take 5-10 minutes to complete, so just be patient until it says it's finished. Once it's done you'll have a file (in the same folder) named "Connection Info.txt". Just get that file and send me a forum PM with this information:

1) Your in-game name
2) The country you live in
3) The ISP (Internet Service Provider) you're using
4) The Connection Info.txt file that was created above
5) A small description of the lag (when it started, how often it happens, etc)

Please be sure to attach the full file, rather than copy and pasting it, as it is much easier to read in the full text file.

Feel free to add anything else that you think might help. Once you've sent it to me, I'll take a look at it and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,
-Perry

Visit our RMS page to write a review <3

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
I've updated this post with an easy to use file that will save all your connection info automatically, rather than having to run everything manually. :o

Also, just an added note, if the server is lagging at all (every player is lagging), please run this file and submit the Tracert.txt file to me. This helps me (and the host) track down exactly where the issue is occurring, which means it can be fixed much more easily and, more importantly, sooner.

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
I've updated the post again with a new iROTrace.exe file that should work on all computers (some players had issues with running .bat files), as well as adding some new info to the file it generates. :o

If anyone is experiencing lag issues please run the file and send me the Connection Info.txt file, and I'll assist you in getting it fixed as soon as possible. <3

xEpicPaopuFruit

xEpicPaopuFruit

Metaling

• Members+
  • 109 posts

Thanks for this! Will definitely use it when the time comes.

Kentucky Fried Turkey - Baby Knight | Xoparihan - Professor | Hopsin - Clown Castlevania - Champion | 

maxirugi

maxirugi

Drops

• Members+
  • 16 posts

Please Update this post Perry , Thank you . 

Lord Uda

Lord Uda

Poporing

• Members+
  • 26 posts

+1 on update, Algorithm and route test dont solve everything. I suggest a better host.

Edited by Lord Uda, 13 February 2016 - 07:08 AM.

W6oqCNE.gif?1

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts

+1 on update, Algorithm and route test dont solve everything. I suggest a better host.

You're right. The traceroute tests don't solve anything because you haven't sent any to me.

If you're on PLDT they've been having major routing issues recently. It's possible other providers have been having similar issues, but if you never send me the traceroute there's nothing I can do check. The server network hasn't appeared to have any issues recently - the host is just fine.

Master Daravon

Master Daravon

Ghostring

• Members+
  • 205 posts

I believe Uda is somewhere from Latin America, so I guess PLDT is out of the question for him.

Also, I've read in the news sometime late 2015 that PLDT is trying to upgrade their infrastructure in the hopes of being able to compete with incoming Telstra. PLDT has advised before that it will be having some issues for the duration of the infrastructure upgrade, but did not specify until when (because they are a monopoly who has the Philippine population by the balls- dey gangsta' like that).

2cgg07b.jpg

"Never attribute to malice what can first be attributed to incompetence."- Hanlon's Razor

"If the model fails to conform with reality, don't try to change reality, change the model instead."

"Invention is a combination of brains and resources; the more brains you use, the less resources you need."

"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement - what we can measure, we can improve."

"Though we can choose to ignore reality, we simply cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality."

"A problem well stated is a problem half-solved."

InertiaRO - Super High Rate