Hi! We've recently opened a new server - if you'd like to give it a try, please check out our website at Anomaly Ragnarok Online!

Photo

What RO Server You Guys Play Now?

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

Master Daravon

Master Daravon

Ghostring

• Members+
  • 205 posts

just a few people to bounce ideas around and work on some proper content (writing up quests etc).

The problem as I mentioned earlier is that I can't commit to anything yet, so any possible team would also need to be fully aware of the fact that it's still a hypothetical. Most people don't like working for something that, in theory, may not happen if circumstances don't allow it. ):

Well... I'm almost always in the mood to throw and bounce ideas around, though at this point I'd say I don't have the monopoly on inspiration... and if I may ask, what exactly would the "writing up quests" task require (raw code, story line/dialogue, item requirements, NPC location)? IMO, most peeps prolly don't pay attention to the storyline / NPC dialogues anymore, and personally, I'd be fine with simply having multiple HG quest NPCs (each with their own similarly themed HGs) spread out far and wide conveniently placed on maps/regions (or even other towns aside from main town) containing monsters that drop some or all of the ingredients for their corresponding HGs (there could still be a quest HG guy in the main town for the new players, but perhaps with a significantly smaller selection... or perhaps an additional quest HG swag tier NPC/s that take lower swag tier HGs + moar items and turns them into higher swag tier stuff). I believe rAthena already allows for the HG preview option for any quest reward listed in its dialog, so methinks a dedicated HG previewer might not be necessary. Again, I'm only speaking for myself here, but I still wouldn't dis-count people who like story-based quests... /ic!! *integration detected* perhaps the scattered HG NPCs could require some opening small story-based quest be completed first before they lend the service of creating HGs for the player(?)

Mebe could even have the quests written/designed/developed by players themselves in some kind of periodic (weekly/monthly?) contest, thus effectively "outsourcing" the quest creation for donation credit rewards while stimulating community participation at the same time (why pay someone with real cash when there might just be players happy enough to accept payment in the form of premium virtual credit/s?).  :)

I'm also somewhat uncertain if the server would even be popular given what I plan to do with it. :D It definitely wouldn't be anywhere near what current SHRs look like in terms of PvM, and even a step above traditional SHRs.

Random example: I'm considering applying a custom diminishing returns style formula to drop rates (already have a few in mind) rather than everything being exactly a 10/20/100% drop. Basically allows a lot more fine tuning of drop rates, which proportionally lines up better to how the drop rates were intended to be in the first place.

But of course, with heavy customization typically comes a lower acceptance rate, so it'll be interesting to see if a heavily PvM-influenced SHR really gets anywhere in the long run. I certainly hope it works out though, if/when I do have the time. <3

I'd imagine that if it breaks the traditions/"boxes" well enough that it feels to be of sufficient contrast against both LR/MRs and HR/SHRs through an interesting synthesis of the accepted merits from both ends of the rate spectrum (PvM challenge + exp/drop rates + combat tempo = RO on meth<3333 O_O!!), it might just be crazy-fresh "schwifty" enough to attract players who can appreciate a certain aspect regardless of where they might be (or coming from) on the rate preference spectrum. IMO, any degree of customization is acceptable for as long as it breaks the meta "correctly" - in a sense that it doesn't "rape" the pre-renewal meta, but rather "makes love" to it (with the operative difference being "respect").

The diminishing return for drop rates sounds interesting and has got me curious (though you're free to not disclose the details if you don't intend to leak or jinx it)... I imagine either the drop rates increase/decrease depending on [some kind of relationship between active accounts and total accounts] or would it perhaps be similar to how you intend to scale monster stats, but in the case of drop rates, items with originally low drop rates get a significant increase while items that already have high drop rates get only a minor (or nearly negligible) increase?

Slightly related (since we're talking about drop rates), I would imagine something similar to what TalonRO does with the vote system for its global exp rate could interesting if applied to drop rates (assuming they'd mostly be low enough to begin with for players to really want to vote /gg ), but then I think about the hassle of needing a system that wouldn't be open to abuse or be discouraging of multiple account use per player (idk, perhaps just bbgum for vote points will do fine, I guess XD).

Edited by Master Daravon, 02 December 2016 - 08:49 AM.

2cgg07b.jpg

"Never attribute to malice what can first be attributed to incompetence."- Hanlon's Razor

"If the model fails to conform with reality, don't try to change reality, change the model instead."

"Invention is a combination of brains and resources; the more brains you use, the less resources you need."

"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement - what we can measure, we can improve."

"Though we can choose to ignore reality, we simply cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality."

"A problem well stated is a problem half-solved."

Master Daravon

Master Daravon

Ghostring

• Members+
  • 205 posts

@Purry you should make a Discord channel just for Nersha2.0 discussion. Forums lately are just me being dumb, Poy/Drew being smart, and you somewhere in the middle of our 10/10 input. Oh, and Kalei also being dumb +_+ Hurrhurr
Could even post in FB with a disclaimer that isn't not an official project and you're just looking for feedback on the PvM contentz. *bunny hops awei*

Oh c'mon bby, ur not dumz, you just gave hyper-relevant 11/10 idea right there. :33

Btw, how's the map design going? (see? unlike me and poy, you're axully getting productive "making RO great again" kinda stuff done *admiration :wub: *)

/pat /chinstrokes /tailtwirl /iwonderwherethisgoesnext

Edited by Master Daravon, 02 December 2016 - 08:58 AM.

2cgg07b.jpg

"Never attribute to malice what can first be attributed to incompetence."- Hanlon's Razor

"If the model fails to conform with reality, don't try to change reality, change the model instead."

"Invention is a combination of brains and resources; the more brains you use, the less resources you need."

"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement - what we can measure, we can improve."

"Though we can choose to ignore reality, we simply cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality."

Simmy

Simmy

Archangeling

• Members+
  • 848 posts

Oh c'mon bby, ur not dumz, you just gave hyper-relevant 11/10 idea right there. :33

Btw, how's the map design going? (see? unlike me and poy, you're axully getting productive "making RO great again" kinda stuff done *admiration :wub: *)

/pat /chinstrokes /tailtwirl /iwonderwherethisgoesnext

It's okai :3 Midi has me doing map edits for their Nightmare Dungeon quests and a custom Hall of Fame corridor. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to post any visuals until after they're released or Cyan might murder me with a guitar :c /desp

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
(Blame Daravon for the long post, that guy asks like, relevant questions and stuff, what a jerk)
(Also side note I only read this twice instead of my usual 4-6 times so it might be full of errors)

@Purry you should make a Discord channel just for Nersha2.0 discussion.

I think any discussion at this point would be not so much "closed," but not open to just anyone either. A lot of the more "vocal" players tend to have very little qualification to talk about details (although intriguingly they think they have plenty), so open discussion would probably just get chaotic LOL. A Skype group would be enough to discuss things and work on broader concepts, and could be kept relatively small to keep things a bit more manageable/organized.

Basically it'd be a bit more of a loose application process ("hey can I join" followed by "naw you dumb" or "ya fo sho"), but since everything is unofficial at the moment, having an application process would be somewhat odd.

and if I may ask, what exactly would the "writing up quests" task require (raw code, story line/dialogue, item requirements, NPC location)?

Primarily backstory/dialogue and item requirements. NPC location may be useful as well in some cases though, depending on whether it was a one-off quest (just a random NPC in a forest) or a storyline quest (where NPC locations would, for the most part, be pre-defined).

Converting dialogue to an NPC script is actually very easy and fast, to the point I could probably train someone else to do a lot of them for me. It's the backstory/dialogue that takes the largest chunk of time because every NPC needs his/her own personality, and a lot of quests will need to fit into a common theme.

IMO, most peeps prolly don't pay attention to the storyline / NPC dialogues anymore, and personally, I'd be fine with simply having multiple HG quest NPCs (each with their own similarly themed HGs) spread out far and wide conveniently placed on maps/regions (or even other towns aside from main town) containing monsters that drop some or all of the ingredients for their corresponding HGs

This is actually a problem with most RO servers these days, in my personal opinion. Most RO servers have nothing with any personality, nothing to kind of "breathe life" into the gameplay, and it makes them a generally forgettable experience. I was actually surprised at the number of people who complemented Inertia on something as simple as our custom quest NPC using item requirements that fit the headgear they were making - wings requiring feathers, helms requiring ores/metals, etc.

Even if a lot of players don't care much about stories or dialogue, having a lot of different personalities among quest NPCs, and having a story behind what they're asking the player to do, those are things that people notice subconsciously. It makes the server feel more "together" and unique. That's why I always used different typing styles depending on the NPC I was writing for Inertia. It may be small, but it adds up, and I think ultimately the unique feel of a server contributes a lot to the longevity. People are a lot more likely to stay at a server that feels memorable, even if they can't place precisely why they feel that way.

What I'm considering, and this is the reason I'd want a content creation team to help write backstories, is a very large quest-based system. It'd derive from the good ol' overused faction concept, with different groups offering different benefits, different backstories, different quests and personalities. RO is somewhat limited in role play aspect since you're restricted to a class (so a mage's guild for example wouldn't have as wide an appeal as a more generic concept guild), but I'd like to offer some more choice to the player. All of these factions would be integrated into one system which would allow them to compete with each other.

Whether or not this'll make it to the final cut I have no idea, but that's kind of what I'm looking at right now. It was an idea that was planned for Inertia long ago (New Genesis was actually intended to be part of that), but unfortunately the time was never there for it.

The diminishing return for drop rates sounds interesting and has got me curious (though you're free to not disclose the details if you don't intend to leak or jinx it)... I imagine either the drop rates increase/decrease depending on [some kind of relationship between active accounts and total accounts] or would it perhaps be similar to how you intend to scale monster stats, but in the case of drop rates, items with originally low drop rates get a significant increase while items that already have high drop rates get only a minor (or nearly negligible) increase?

I won't give exact numbers because a lot of RO server owners like stealing things instead of putting effort in. =P But essentially the formula I've picked out allows for a lot of fine tuning - it has a built in buffer (minimum drop rate), and allows for quick tuning on how quickly the returns diminish. Essentially what this adds up to (just an example) is a 0.01% drop could be 2.5% (250x drop rate), while a 50% drop rate could be 90% (1.8x drop rate). Common items stay common without all being a 100% drop rate, while rare items stay relatively rare but still tolerable for an SHR.

Slightly related (since we're talking about drop rates), I would imagine something similar to what TalonRO does with the vote system for its global exp rate could interesting if applied to drop rates (assuming they'd mostly be low enough to begin with for players to really want to vote /gg ), but then I think about the hassle of needing a system that wouldn't be open to abuse or be discouraging of multiple account use per player (idk, perhaps just bbgum for vote points will do fine, I guess XD).

Not sure about this one; I do like the idea of having a kind of global incentive to vote, but I'm not sure if linking that to drop rates is necessarily the best way to go about that. I think it might lead to a less stable economy depending on how much it potentially fluctuates (for reference, I'm talking over the course of a couple/few years, not just a couple months).

Visit our RMS page to write a review <3

Ganondorf

Ganondorf

Archangeling

• Members+
  • 800 posts

Pray4Kalab.jpg

IPreyOnGodHeOk.bmp

Salamat.po

W8miSir1getMainoki?

Master Daravon

Master Daravon

Ghostring

• Members+
  • 205 posts

^ +1 hue! XD

2cgg07b.jpg

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
I'm currently in the process of talking to some people about this before I can be sure, but there may actually be a chance of a content team in the near future. If anyone is interested (or if you know someone) feel free to PM me here or on Skype (Encon21). <3

For reference, these are some of the things we'd likely be discussing on the team (you don't need to have expertise in every area, just let me know which parts you're interested in when you message me):

We wouldn't necessarily be covering all of those things, but if you have a particular interest in any specifics we can make sure they've covered. It's also likely that some other things will be covered, those are just what I have off the top of my head. And again, even if you're only interested in one category, that's fine - so long as you're willing to help where you can with the rest (even if it's just by agreeing/disagreeing with ideas).

Also worth noting that if I actually get a lot of messages (I'll be honest I'm not expecting to LOL), we may not be able to take everyone. The group will probably be somewhat small to keep it organized.

And good Lord before Justin hears rumours about me having a super secret group without him again, or 16 people message me on Facebook thinking Inertia v2 has been released, this does not mean anything official is being announced (yet). This group is very much a hypothetical at the moment just to see what the interest is, and discussions will be underlined with the fact that the server can only happen if and when there's enough time to do so.

Ganondorf

Ganondorf

Archangeling

• Members+
  • 800 posts

So, am I right in assuming that this supposed server would be predominantly PvE/quest-based?  My only advice would probably be to avoid the SHR scene.  The population pool in said category has dwindled greatly in recent times, and the types of people who generally look for those qualities tend to play MR/HR servers (I'm assuming you aren't making a LR?).

Would it be more grind-oriented compared to what Inertia had?

What kind of slot allocation is in mind ([1], [2], [4])?

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
Current thoughts are very much PvM focused, yes, though there'll likely be a large focus on Battlegrounds as well. In my opinion PvM-heavy content would help a lot for long-term economy (something Inertia struggled with), and Battlegrounds in particular is the most well-rounded PvP scenario, especially once the matchmaking system has been refined a bit more. Having said that, we would also be looking to have a similar PvP/WoE experience to Inertia, at least in terms of balancing methods. Essentially I'm looking to provide a place for both sides, though it definitely won't appeal to the lazier players (since they're not used to traditional SHRs).

More specifically, I'm actually trying to make a server that feels like an SHR in PvP environments (fast-paced fights, high numbers, etc), while still maintaining some low rate aspects that are (in my opinion) missing from SHRs these days. I'm well aware it may not be a popular choice, but it's something I've always wanted to try, so I'd like to see how it goes. Worst case scenario it fails and I'll be back to working on a more "standard" style of SHR again. I do hope to add a lot of custom mechanics (custom mob AI/skills, new party-based instance quest mechanics, etc) to keep it fresh/unique though, which ideally will make it less tedious to go through all of the PvM content. How much of that makes it in will depend on how much time I have.

Slots are uncertain at the moment, but probably 2-slotted. It's entirely possible that it'll end up being 4-slotted again, depending on discussions once balancing phase is reached. Part of me wants things "toned down" a bit so it's a little easier to balance around things, but I also want to keep the feel at least somewhat similar to Inertia once players actually enter the PvP room, which may be hard to do with only 2 slots.

Master Daravon

Master Daravon

Ghostring

• Members+
  • 205 posts

*upgraded to Windows7 a few months ago so I could install newer stuff*

*downloaded and ran SkypeSetupFull just moments ago*

*encounters error message: "Cannot find or load Microsoft Installer. Please update your computer and try running Skype again." *

*Rage intensifies*

*Reminds self to not break zen*

*Zen-face.jpg ~_~ *

Oh well, I guess this is all just the universe's subtle way of telling me to keep my boxers on </3.

2cgg07b.jpg

Juls

Juls

Drops

• Members+
  • 16 posts

You lost me at PvE focused. :\

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
The end-game would still be very much focused on PvP (again, mostly BG, but WoE/PvP will of course still be a big part as well). It's more so just the fact that PvM will be more central to gearing up rather than having everything you need for top tier PvP within a week, from only 3 or 4 maps. The main thing I want is just for people to put more time into their characters rather than playing actively for a month and then logging in a few times a week for WoE - I'm not intending for it to be a server where you're doing quests all day every day.

All of the cards will still be obtained in the usual ways, so you'd still be able to viably compete without doing the PvM stuff, but there'll be a lot of quests to unlock additional effects as well. Think stuff like Inertia's achievements system where you could get a permanent stat & damage boost by doing various random tasks, only the content will be more in-depth in this case.

There'll also be custom gear of course, but players on Inertia never seemed to have a problem with the god item quest, and it's not like you wouldn't be able to just buy a lot of the custom content off of other players anyway.

All of this is still tentative anyway, but for the time being I'm not interested in making a carbon copy of Inertia. I'd rather try something new and different, and hopefully interesting for players who might be looking for something fresh too.

Master Daravon

Master Daravon

Ghostring

• Members+
  • 205 posts

...You had me at "various random tasks." <3

2cgg07b.jpg

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts

...You had me at "various random tasks." <3

"Kill 18,500 Marins"

kiels

kiels

Drops

• Members+
  • 21 posts

check out this moba style battle grounds https://www.youtube....h?v=1V5i2Y71IWA  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHJpHz0U3Z0  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXPDUbQnTPo

Edited by kiels, 08 December 2016 - 10:52 PM.

33ngig5.jpg

Master Daravon

Master Daravon

Ghostring

• Members+
  • 205 posts

"Kill 18,500 Marins"

ez pz, lemon squeezee :p

Step 1: Login/hax "Chunkee" account. (well, that specific account was actually made under my email, so technically, it was sorta' MY account. /gg)

Step 2: Summon 3-digit amount of Marins in some tight-ass map.

Step 3: ????

Step 4: Rinse, repeat until the 18.5k quota is reached. XD

Edited by Master Daravon, 09 December 2016 - 05:02 AM.

2cgg07b.jpg

Master Daravon

Master Daravon

Ghostring

• Members+
  • 205 posts

Very very interesting. :)

I've been thinking a long time about something similar as well - I think a copy of prontera or any other symmetric map (like some of the ice dungeon maps) might just work for this, or perhaps a custom map could be created to make the terrain complexity more suitable.

I guess it lacks a few things that could make it a whole lot more similar to most MOBAs:

1.) If it were possible for stats, base levels and job levels to be set back to scratch before the match ("instance"?) starts (whilst saving the stats, b&jlvls to prior entry; to automatically revert to when the match ends). If possible, all items get stored prior the match (I dunno what happens though if storage doesn't have enough slots /hmm...). Perhaps the player shouldn't be allowed to queue in if they have any items on them?

2.) If monsters could spawn that give temporary "credits", the value of which goes back to zero as soon as the match ends so any remaining credits can't be used in any succeeding matches. For the sake of simplicity, perhaps monsters could simply be neutral (thus needing only to decide where/when and how much of them are spawned) and without needing to have them go anywhere (perhaps they remain either stationary, or they just walk around randomly like they always do). Not sure if it would be possible for monsters to take specific "sides" but considering how WoE guardians or homonculi/mercenaries work, I presume it might just be possible to work that in (but I think pathing and target prioritization might take some work).

3.) NPCs which sell/combine gear (cards, equipment, etc.) for the credits. Gear/cards would prolly need custom modifiers, and I dunno if there could be a way for the stuff to be auto-deleted. Perhaps the gear could be made so that they work only during that sort of "instance", with @storage disabled so players can't take them out of storage (and into a fresh match) even if they get to keep the gear from a previous match.

Not really a serious idea; just daydreaming. :3

@community:

Since we're talking about splicing the genes of other genres with RO's, I've always fantasized about incorporating builder (games Minecraft or Ark:Survival Evolved) game elements into RO, where players can basically "build" their own bases/structures and crafting tables/equipment from farmed resources, but I think it's limited by the fact(?) that RO's maps aren't exactly "dynamic(?)"... I was thinking that perhaps a way to go around this would be to make mobs that would function similar to barricades (though I have to say I'm not exactly sure if the inability to "stack" on or "walk through(?)" a cell with a barricade on it is either a function of the barricade itself or a map/cell function) have either custom sprites or be rendered as 3D objects (similar perhaps to how emperiums and guardians aren't exactly "sprites" but "objects") sampled from whatever 3D "architecture" already exists within RO that "look" like walls, etc., then players with a custom "build" skill would simply summon the static object on a cell. I imagine the build skill would be provided by an equipped custom "tool" where the kind of "structural element" that can be built depend on the type of equipped custom weapon. Perhaps even roof pieces could be made, but would be differentiated from "walls" in a way that players would be able to stack and path through the cells that the roof pieces are on... I dunno, sounds like it might make for a very interesting economy if resources constantly need to be farmed due to the cycles of construction and destruction.... prolly tons of lag too (unless it's GvG with no damage display) XD

Edited by Master Daravon, 09 December 2016 - 06:50 AM.

2cgg07b.jpg

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts

check out this moba style battle grounds https://www.youtube....h?v=1V5i2Y71IWA  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHJpHz0U3Z0  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXPDUbQnTPo

I'm not too sure this would fit so well in an SHR; fights are a lot quicker than they are in low rates, so you'd lose a lot of the strategic defense side of it. Might not be a bad idea to incorporate some of those ideas into a custom BG mode, though - I'll write out some notes later today. :o

Since we're talking about splicing the genes of other genres with RO's, I've always fantasized about incorporating builder (games Minecraft or Ark:Survival Evolved) game elements into RO, where players can basically "build" their own bases/structures and crafting tables/equipment from farmed resources, but I think it's limited by the fact(?) that RO's maps aren't exactly "dynamic(?)"... I was thinking that perhaps a way to go around this would be to make mobs that would function similar to barricades (though I have to say I'm not exactly sure if the inability to "stack" on or "walk through(?)" a cell with a barricade on it is either a function of the barricade itself or a map/cell function) have either custom sprites or be rendered as 3D objects (similar perhaps to how emperiums and guardians aren't exactly "sprites" but "objects") sampled from whatever 3D "architecture" already exists within RO that "look" like walls, etc., then players with a custom "build" skill would simply summon the static object on a cell. I imagine the build skill would be provided by an equipped custom "tool" where the kind of "structural element" that can be built depend on the type of equipped custom weapon. Perhaps even roof pieces could be made, but would be differentiated from "walls" in a way that players would be able to stack and path through the cells that the roof pieces are on... I dunno, sounds like it might make for a very interesting economy if resources constantly need to be farmed due to the cycles of construction and destruction.... prolly tons of lag too (unless it's GvG with no damage display) XD

I actually like this idea a lot too, but implementing it wouldn't really be possible with RO's maps, outside of creating hundreds of maps for every possible build combination. Using a form of barrier would be a little awkward in my opinion since the player would still be able to see the "unbuilt" space behind it. Using mobs to double as objects would give them the attack icon (and potentially make it difficult to walk), so I'm not sure on that one either, unfortunately.

One thing that might work would be the ability to add new rooms to a player owner house, though having a load screen between every room might be a little annoying. Other option would be something similar to Endless Tower where all of the "floors" or "rooms" are actually in the same map, just distanced from each other so you don't see them, and then @jump would be disabled to prevent entering a locked room.

This would all be a very complex system to set up, though, and I'm not entirely sure yet if it'd have enough benefit for the time that would be put in. Pretty much the whole house rental system would need to be redone to allow for it, and we'd need a mapper to create multiple styles of house maps for us, each which multiple rooms.

Master Daravon

Master Daravon

Ghostring

• Members+
  • 205 posts

@Perry

/hmm... I see what you're saying. What I had in mind was more like one huge map where there would be no warps to other rooms, and players would perhaps be building some sort of maze (no roof pieces this time, just walls). Imagine being "inside" the structure being built - like being in a sphinx map for example, one would see the walls and the floor, but not the ceiling. I guess it would be more like a dungeon builder, without the ability to see the "exterior" (might be easier to walk through if no roof/ceiling "objects" to get highlighted when pathing around), and you could still have warp portals that warp between floors rather than between rooms, I guess. Might even be simpler if the objects would all made "untargetable", and a house manager NPC could just ask the player various amounts of stuff and things at regular intervals as upkeep/maintenance of the built structures.

Btw, if you've seen the game Shoppe Keep? Might bring a whole new dimension to vending if players could actually lay out their own "shops" and de-clutter vending zones. There seems to be no lack of "furniture" all around RO to sample for NPC models either. Might just be crazy enough to work, but I dunno... :3

2cgg07b.jpg

kiels

kiels

Drops

• Members+
  • 21 posts

the rooms are actually pvp not battle grounds my bad XD... the server only focus on that i think. they even got an MMR ranking -> its like the ragnarok version of dota https://www.youtube....h?v=4EK7Ul0qdZw

33ngig5.jpg

InertiaRO - Super High Rate