Hi! We've recently opened a new server - if you'd like to give it a try, please check out our website at Anomaly Ragnarok Online!

Photo

New Server - Progress Updates

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
Hi! I was asked to post a dedicated topic for this, so here it is. :3

For starters, we do have a name (and a logo!) picked out for the new server, but as we don't have a release date yet we won't be giving out the name publicly for now. Anyways, here's a few of the things that we have set up for the new server!

Achievements System

I mentioned recently in the shoutbox that the achievements system is fully functional. I spent a lot of time modifying the client to fix a number of bugs with the achievements window (seriously, I'm pretty sure Gravity never even opened the summary page, literally everything was broken). There's still a couple minor display bugs with the special title achievements, but most of them shouldn't be noticeable, and don't cause any issues with functionality.

Here's a couple screenshots of what it looks like!

The achievements in the screenshot above are conditional titles, a custom feature - once you no longer qualify for the titles, you'll lose access to them. So being the top PvPer of the month for example gives you access to an exclusive title for a month.

The titles system has also been modified slightly to allow us to add special titles for things outside of achievements - the only example above is the Admin title, but there will be a few titles exclusive to VIP players, and we'll likely be adding forum-related titles as well!

Integrated SimpleROHook

We've also included SRH in the client directly, so you don't need to worry about setting up a 3rd party tool yourself. To those that might not have heard of SRH, it's essentially another client plugin similar to RCX, which was commonly used on Inertia.

The primary features are showing your skill range and showing various skill AoEs without needing to display the effects. For example, you can set it up to display red cells wherever Storm Gust has been cast, so even while playing with /effects off you can still see where things are. Of course this is all optional and fully customizable.

We have a number of other client modifications for quality of life improvements as well, including instant screenshots with configurable quality.

Anticheat Improvements & Custom Delay System

Another thing that's been done is improving the anticheat system - inevitably there'll probably be some issues early on due to every computer being different, but we'll work to fix those immediately as they come up. Overall the end result should be a more effective and smoother experience provided by the anticheat system.

One major improvement is server-side blocking of NDL (no delay) cheats, which is probably the highest impact cheat tool in SHR servers. More importantly though, we've actually done this by implementing (with permission) a system developed by the team at Rise of Midgard. Part of this system includes disabling the client's delay system, since delays are handled on the server now - in other words, the client actually has a built-in NDL, which means that spam speed is no longer restricted by a player's ping.

Obviously there'll still be other factors that can affect spam rate, such as network stability, but essentially players who are far from the server host (such as in the Philippines) will be able to spam just as fast as someone in the US. This should help to give a much better gameplay experience to players who aren't located near the server.

Anyways, that's it for today! We have a lot more that we've worked on, and a lot more still to come - I'll try to post here from time to time to give some updates of how things are going.

Visit our RMS page to write a review <3

barren55

barren55

Deviling

• Members+
  • 319 posts

Thanks for the update! Keep up the good work bud.

† ~ A New Age Of War ~ †

Barren - > Assassin Cross

BK-201 - > Professor

Black Reaper - > Sniper

1XXJkmi.pngEouV8ne.png

D49PvWH.png

abry

abry

Metaling

• Members+
  • 106 posts

Everything looks great and stuff, but one thing I'd like to happen differently in the new server is that we finally get regular (quarterly?) major and minor updates more focused not only towards balancing (items/skills/stats), security and cosmetics, but more on changing the game's meta. I feel like this is one important thing, if not the most, that keeps most of the games alive right now.

And I believe this is one of the reasons many of us played Inertia, the meta was different than the usual RO server, but unfortunately, as time went by, it got stale, for years, and most of us players, old and new, just copy and spam the same equips, jobs, and tactics, and everyone gets to hit the end of the road, and the only reason we stay is because of our friends and enemies (so we could earn our bragging right LOL).

I strongly believe that the unwillingness to change the meta leaves the game stale. And the best way to deal with the end-game is with the never ending changing of meta.

Inertia was truly a unique masterpiece, no doubt, you will never get the same feeling from any other servers out there, and it was all thanks to Perry and his team. And I feel like this one would be even better, so I'd hate for everything we've built to go away again. No more dedgaem!

QD5cp3n.png

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
I think you may be underestimating the difficulty of that.

RO in particular has a community that, for the most part, expects an RO feel to the gameplay - making massive changes to the mechanics typically doesn't get as good of a response as you might hope. Being an SHR already puts us well off the mark in that regard too, which is why in Inertia I tried to make any balancing decisions with the class's original intent in mind - I wanted classes to, as much as possible, still feel like they were supposed to originally, even if it was an SHR.

On top of this, even a multi-billion dollar company (Riot Games) is constantly making terrible design/balance decisions, and they're doing that with a full-time team dedicated to balancing. I'm doing it as a single dev that also needs to handle design decisions, systems administration, PR, team management, etc. Trying to constantly shift mechanics/balance in a major way just wouldn't be possible with that kind of schedule, and unfortunately finding a reliable & trustworthy dev is increasingly difficult in the RO community, never mind a team of them (seriously tho, if anyone is/knows an RO dev, I could really use some help LOL). The same goes for finding a genuinely objective balancing team - a lot of people think they know how to balance the server, very few actually do. =P

Having said that, the beginning of the server will be a fairly minimalist release, so mechanics will be fairly similar to Inertia other than it being 2-slotted. But that's only at the start so I can get the server out - there are a lot of plans including new epic gear (alternatives to Sleipnir and stat belts being a good example), as well as custom weapons in the future. Ultimately the goal here is to improve on build diversity - new gear will often be designed to allow for optimizing specific playstyles rather than always just being a flat increase in stats. While this isn't exactly what you're asking, we're hoping it leads to a wider variety of builds and classes, which in the long run should be a pretty big improvement over Inertia.

abry

abry

Metaling

• Members+
  • 106 posts

We fully understood your reasons, Perry, and how your love for the game was what made you kept going on. It seems one of the solutions could be to have a bigger team than before and to get more input from the community. But that sounds too broad and it still wouldn't be easy, so we're just hoping for the best and we're giving it our full support.

And I agree that there's a fine line in everything, a little bit too much of change and you get the same mistake Renewal (3rd jobs) had, a little bit too less and people start to leave to find something new (the case with most servers). Simply, good luck.

And by the way, Riot Games is probably the worst company to be talked about balancing and meta. Dota2 all the way bois.

QD5cp3n.png

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
The staff team size isn't necessarily the issue; it's more so the reliability. There were only 3 or 4 staff teams in Inertia's history that actually did everything they were supposed to. With every other team I quite frequently had to step in and do things that were supposed to already be done by someone else. A lot of them were still great GMs in a lot of aspects, it's just that the consistency wasn't there in a lot of cases, and adding more team members in that situation would only add more for me to keep track of.

There will be some changes in how the staff team is managed, though, which will hopefully ease things up at least a bit for me in terms of team management.

For similar reasons, as much as I'd like to have a balancing team, due to the difficulty of finding people who would be qualified for it I'm not sure how plausible that is, especially since I'd also need to be managing/monitoring that team. Community input is valuable and can help a lot, but it's extremely messy/slow and often has a lot of poorly thought out ideas (mostly due to class bias and a lack of knowledge of other classes), so it wouldn't really be sufficient for making constant changes.

I think everything above can be summed up by "I wish there were 3 of me" LOL. The vast majority of the issues here come simply from me not having enough time to do everything at once, and there'll never be a perfect world where everyone helping is always active and consistent in the work they do except in 2012 when we had that one miracle team that did exactly that for a few months. In other words, having a large team without a reliable/dedicated manager would very likely add more to the workload than reduce it, which is unfortunate as I really would love to have a bigger team to work with.

As a note btw, I'm not in any way trying to make excuses or avoid responsibility here - just trying to explain a bit where the difficulty comes from, and why it's not always quite as simple as adding more staff.

Also, I picked League as the example because it's still the largest PC game in the world atm and because Dota is garbage.

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
Just a small update today since most of the stuff I've been working on over the last week isn't very interesting. =P

Skill Timers

I spent some time digging around SimpleROHook and made some modifications that allowed me to add skill timers as an extra feature. :D This is something that RCX had, but it wasn't included in SRH.

skilltimers.png

Again, this setting is optional and can also be customized however you like - you can change the timer bar's colour to an ugly vomit colour if you want, or specify which skills you want it to be displayed for. I used Pneuma as the example because that was an RCX feature I used to kill every other PvP Sniper on Inertia kek. Another potentially good use for this would be displaying timers for your traps, or other ground spells like Sanctuary and Quagmire.

It's also probably worth noting since I forgot to mention it in the first post, these settings can be toggled on/off in-game using custom /commands. There's also a /reloadsrh command to completely reload the config file, so no need to restart the client if you change some of the advanced settings.

Thanatos Consistency Fix

This is something that's always annoyed me in RO so I finally went in and fixed it LOL. Thanatos Card (and Ice Pick) will now do predictable/consistent damage, rather than constantly jumping between +/-20% of the damage it was supposed to be doing.

This also means it should be easier to tweak it for balancing, which is something I'm also looking into now. I haven't decided exactly what I want to do with it, but I'd like to adjust the numbers so Def is actually useful, if possible. The main idea behind that would be getting Grimtooth out of the spotlight, and also opening up another option for negative effects on some items.

That's it for today. :D I've done a few other things as well, including some improvements to client crash debugging and some stability/anticheat updates, but those are pretty boring.

A lot of the upcoming stuff is minor/tedious work (fixing hairstyles for example), so I may not post any updates for a little bit while I work through those, but you're all more than welcome to ask any questions you have about the server/features. :o

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
Hai again. :D

This'll be a hella long post since I've diving into some theory/plans here rather than just updates.

Refine Bonuses

So, one of the things being worked on right now is incentivizing refined gear a bit more. Obviously headgears already have incentive to be upgraded, built-in to their effects, but other gear like armor was rarely upgraded aside from the few people who realized refining early armor tiers was useful.

Now, it's worth noting we'll be adding an enchantment system later, which will allow players to add extra effects to their headgears. Since that system will be a lot more expansive, we're saving unique ideas for that rather than making a complex refine system, so this change will be pretty simple/generic.

Anyways, right now the change for armors (all non-weapon gears) is that each refine level will give 0.25 Def/MDef/MaxHP% rather than 0.66 Def. A full set of +10 gear would give you 17.5% bonus HP. Just to compare that to F2P standards, a full set of +6 gear would be 10.5%, so there won't be a huge power gap between old/new here. The batch refine system is already in as well, so as long as you have the Zeny/materials it'll be pretty quick and easy to get a refined set.

Weapons aren't fully decided yet. My current thoughts are to change all weapon refine rates to the same as armor (since level 1 weapons will likely be common anyway for 4 slots), as well as nerfing Whitesmith refine rates to the same as enriched rates. In other words, they'll get free enriched refines rather than boosted rates. The effect will probably be some along the lines of 1% Atk/MAtk per refine, or just increase the flat Atk boost and mirror it for MAtk. To be clear, since this would affect base Atk, %-damage cards would multiply this value, so you'd actually be seeing more of a 20-30% damage boost in most cases.

I think it'll be a good improvement to the economy to have people actually interested in refined gear - people may sell +10 armors, for example, and it also adds a fairly hefty Zeny cost (10m/refine) to older players without being a large enough bonus that it's necessary for new players. Basically new players could easily get away with just safe refining their gear, or going for a relatively easy +6 or +7 set once they've settled in a bit. Obviously the bonuses can be tweaked at any time if they turn out to be an issue, but I think the values I'm testing atm should be pretty decent.

PvM Goals

This one came up in the shoutbox and I figured it'd be better if I gave a dedicated answer here. First things first, the vast majority of PvM content won't be in the server on release. When I say the server will be PvM and BG focused, I'm mainly referring to post-release updates, in which we'll often be looking for ways to expand on PvM content and improve BG as a priority over everything else. Initial release will quite likely "feel" similar to Inertia, aside from a lot more of those little convenience tweaks that people keep telling me they miss at other servers LOL.

The first thing we'll be looking at is the obvious one - quests. We already have new quests for the god items; they're now a separate quest for each god item, rather than the same one with a simple selection at the end. We also have a number of new accessories and footgears planned, which will get their own quests as well. These quests are actually already written, just not coded yet, so we'll quite likely be able to get those in shortly after release. Another goal here is to flesh out the dialogue a bit more - I'm going to try to have a bit of a backstory/lore for each item we add, which will influence how the quests are written, rather than always just being a generic "help me" quests with little explanation of why they're in possession of the reward item.

Contracts are making a comeback too; they'll be largely the same, but I overhauled the entire system so it's significantly easier to add new ones. I know they aren't particularly "interesting," but being able to consistently add more over time means it'll progressively be less likely to see repeats. Hopefully that'll help to make them feel a bit less repetitive/tedious.

Drop rates use a custom formula as well, so rare items are still semi-rare, while common items aren't all 100% drops now. Quests will be tuned for time accordingly, but I think things feel better when there's some variation in the farming rather than just "I need 200 of this item so I need to kill 200 monsters." There'll be a bit of that "Yes, I got one!" feel for some items, which intriguingly has been proven with lab monkeys to feel better than always being rewarded.

The improved achievements system is another part of this, but I've already talked about that above.

There'll be a lot of other stuff added in the future too - the headgear enchantments system, custom instanced dungeons with customized MVP AI, as well as constantly adding new content (gears, quests, etc) and looking for more ways to incentivize PvM gameplay and make it more interesting.

As far as actual update goals, the two main goals are economy and time investment.

For economy, we'll be doing things like reusing certain items in a number of quests - ideally the hope is that people will buy/sell these quest requirements. We're also making other changes (like the refine changes) to hopefully encourage more open market. The main thing here is to try and keep the economy as active as possible; this is a pretty difficult task in an SHR, but if we can pull it off, I think it'll make a massive difference in server activity and longevity.

For time investment, this is a psychological thing; players are less likely to quit (and more likely to miss the server if they leave) when they've invested a lot of time into their accounts. This is why lower rates tend to have better player retention than SHRs. Obviously I don't want to trick/trap people into staying, but I do think that we can make players feel more attached to their characters and the server. Lower leveling rates means more time spent in the early stages with their character, having a more restricted mall and lowered drop rates means more time spent in the mid-game stages of gearing up a character, and having more end-game PvM content means they'll have more to do (and more that they've done) with their character once they're fully built.

Obviously some players won't like this - they'll want a normal SHR without all the PvM content, and that's fine. I know the server may not be as successful as a result, but I think if players give it a chance and end up liking it, the server will have a much higher chance of feeling more alive, and more importantly lasting a long time. Basically I'm making some risky decisions here (in the context of SHRs), with the intention of it being a much stronger and longer lasting server.

nagelpogi

nagelpogi

Ghostring

• Members+
  • 171 posts

chicken dinner!

9is940.png

vyra

vyra

Marin

• Members+
  • 78 posts

pogchamps.

and please, dont remove the character naming system as before

i still want my Blanks.

-Blank-  Sinx || -BIank-  Lord Knight || - Blank - High Wizard || - BIank - Sniper || -Blank - Stalker || -BIank - Biochemist  || - Blank- Scholar  || - BIank- Novice  || Sayaka Yamamoto Gypsy

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts

Old Inertia accounts/characters won't be in the new server, if that's what you mean. :o You'll have to create the character again.

That's partly because the new server isn't related to Inertia (it's a totally new/separate server), but it actually isn't even possible to migrate account data anyway due to the new accounts system that'll be in place.

Michael

Michael

Poporing

• Members+
  • 25 posts

Old Inertia accounts/characters won't be in the new server, if that's what you mean. :o You'll have to create the character again.

That's partly because the new server isn't related to Inertia (it's a totally new/separate server), but it actually isn't even possible to migrate account data anyway due to the new accounts system that'll be in place.

Uh, I'm pretty sure he is talking about being able to make names with spaces and symbols.

160scx1.png

Characters : Kalmiya / Sinx Of Paper ~ / Sinx de Papel ~ / Kyo ~

vyra

vyra

Marin

• Members+
  • 78 posts

Uh, I'm pretty sure he is talking about being able to make names with spaces and symbols.

yup, alot of servers outside dont allow spaces and symbols :<

-Blank-  Sinx || -BIank-  Lord Knight || - Blank - High Wizard || - BIank - Sniper || -Blank - Stalker || -BIank - Biochemist  || - Blank- Scholar  || - BIank- Novice  || Sayaka Yamamoto Gypsy

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
This is the current list of allowed characters for names. :o

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1234567890!~$&*()-_+=.?{}<>/\

Inertia did have a few extra ones (primary difference being lack of [ ] because they're reserved for titles now), but it's mostly the same.

Ganondorf

Ganondorf

Archangeling

• Members+
  • 800 posts

RIP, still no support for the Anglo-Saxon/Norse alphabet ;(

CoolSpeedy

CoolSpeedy

Metaling

• Members+
  • 100 posts

Damn... I do not know how long it has been, or if anyone even remembers who I am. I have missed this server every second it was gone and really wish it would come back the same (with all the new cool visuals I just finished reading about) but changed things is not so bad either. I have been waiting for this server to come back ever since I heard it might come back and I am really happy it is. Expect me to join as soon as its available, Ill even join during the BETA if you need testers just contact me. By the way, is there an InertiaRO discord? If so may I get it? that is the best way for me to know when the server updates are up.

9RVfnsp.png

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
There's no official Discord (I think someone started an unofficial one, but I don't know if it's still going since I wasn't actually in it myself). Any communication atm happens here, though when we have bigger announcements (aka release) they'll go on Inertia's Facebook pages too. :o

With any luck we should have open beta out before the end of this month, at least that's what we're aiming for atm. There's quite likely going to be some bugs, though, considering all the client modifications that have been made (it's hard to test compatibility on just two computers) - hopefully we can catch most of those early and then transition into release pretty quick.

CoolSpeedy

CoolSpeedy

Metaling

• Members+
  • 100 posts

There's no official Discord (I think someone started an unofficial one, but I don't know if it's still going since I wasn't actually in it myself). Any communication atm happens here, though when we have bigger announcements (aka release) they'll go on Inertia's Facebook pages too. :o

With any luck we should have open beta out before the end of this month, at least that's what we're aiming for atm. There's quite likely going to be some bugs, though, considering all the client modifications that have been made (it's hard to test compatibility on just two computers) - hopefully we can catch most of those early and then transition into release pretty quick.

Would you like if I make a discord for InertiaRO? the one made by the community has become inactive and the people who own it are even more inactive so it makes sense for you to have one you can manage yourself and I can help with that too. It is possible for BOTs to notify anyone in the server about updates automatically I just need to get it to work if i'm able to, its just more convenient that way. It is also a good way to talk to people while you are working on things if you are into that or just to see how many people are on. Another good use for Discord is to see your staff of the server if they are on or not, and see what they are doing. It is also good for staff meetings and also events if possible. There is quite literally no limits and its all free.

Sounds like i'm advertising it huh lmao but it really is that good.

edit: If you do not care for discord, I will just make one for those who would like one so you do not have to worry about it. BUT feel free to join whenever you want it will be for your server it is only right to give you full access to the discord server as well if you choose to join it too perry

Edited by CoolSpeedy, 13 November 2017 - 01:47 PM.

9RVfnsp.png

Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts
There won't be an official Discord for the new server. I know a lot of people like it, but it's too messy imo, and adds another thing to moderate/manage and split attention (for both players and staff). I prefer having just two primary places for communication (forums and in-game) so things are a bit more focused and simple to maintain. :o

vyra

vyra

Marin

• Members+
  • 78 posts

yea i agree, forum is more than enough and from past experience, perry do response to people

though the answers are not welcoming kek.

InertiaRO - Super High Rate